UK TrainsUnited Kingdom: National Rail
- London - Edinburgh: 04:19
- Book early, save up to 60%
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
UK trains link all Britain from London to Oxford, Glasgow to Edinburg and Cardiff to Birmingham etc.
Great Britain is full of contrasts, whichever direction you travel you will find a wide variety of landscapes. Hop on and discover the countryside by train in a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere. From cosmopolitan and vibrant cities to historic places and their richness in heritage, trains will take you everywhere.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Along 15,795 kilometres of tracks, 23 Train Operating Companies work together for providing the most complete rail network. Long distance traffic, Regional and National lines, everything is made to ease each kind of rail travel.
With its 14 terminals from which the main lines connect to the other parts of Great Britain, London is the hub of the UK rail network. The large choice of schedules will be the opportunity to tailor-make your journey and easily plan day trips to visit Oxford, Cambridge, Brighton or Windsor in one day from London.
From East to West or North to South, and although a few of them are High Speed trains, UK rail network trains run all year long and offer quick connections across the regions. Here are some examples of routes and best travel times:
|London Paddington - Oxford||0h53|
|London Waterloo - Portsmouth||1h35|
|London St Pancras - Dover Priory||1h09|
|Cardiff Central - Birmingham New Street||2h|
|Glasgow - Edinburg||0h58|
|London||Stratford Upon A||01:59||R138|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- UK Trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ Station
Go to a self-service ticket machine and enter your reference to retrieve your ticket. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
Most of the stations are equipped with self-service ticket machines where you will be able to collect your Print @ the station ticket. First class is ideal for business travellers as well as for passengers who want to be pampered. First class tickets provide access to first class lounges in the main stations.
|First class||Second class|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board certain trains. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
Q. What is Rail Europe's cancellation policy for passes, point-to-point tickets, overnight trains, and specialty trains?A. Tickets and passes are neither refundable nor replaceable if stolen or lost. Refunds, when applicable, are limited to totally unused, and un-validated passes, tickets and inclusive packages. A minimum 15% cancellation charge applies. Refund amount for tickets will vary depending on the type of fare purchased. Please check the details for more specific refund policies for each ticket. For passes and packages please look at the Terms and Conditions. Sleepers: if cancelled and space released with the station of departure at least 24 hours before train departs, are generally 85% refundable. If reservation is not cancelled, no refund will be granted. Once in Europe, most tickets must be stamped as NOT USED before the Train Departure Date (for reservations) or the 1st day of validity (for tickets and passes) to be entiteled for refund. If you have already purchased your pass or tickets, please review the terms and conditions that come with your documents for specific information about the cancellation policy for each pass or ticket. To receive your refund for pass, documents must be returned to the issuing office within 6 months of the date of issuance (or 1st year depending on the pass). To receive you refund on combined tickets and reservations, they must be returned to the issuing office within 60 days. Click here to get the adress in our Contact Us section.
- A. Finding Train Tickets and Schedules can be accomplished with just a few simple steps. First click on the "Train Tickets" section, located on the top of any page. There you will find a form asking for your departure city and arrival city and the date that you would like to travel. You will also be asked the approximate time that you want to travel (morning, afternoon or evening). If you would like to book a round trip ticket, just click on the "Round Trip" option and provide the information for your return trip on the same page. Once all of your information has been entered and you have clicked "Search" you will be presented with a number of results to choose from. First, you will want to look through the times offered to see what the best schedule for your travel. Once you have chosen a schedule, you should begin to look at the prices that are offered. Fares are typically broken down into categories, Business, Flexi First, Best Price First, Flexi Second, Best Price Second and Super Saver. Best Price First and Best Price Second are classes tickets being more restrictive in terms of flexibility. Flexi First, Flexi second and Business are classes offering more flexibility. Although these classifications do apply to several different train types, it is always recommended that you click on the "Details" link under each fare type to show the specific refund and exchange rules for that price. Once you have decided on the train and fare that you would like to purchase, click on the "select" link, which will take you to the passenger selection page. Once you have input your passenger information you can choose to continue shopping or proceed to the checkout process.
- A. Toilets are easily accessible on all the trains and are usually marked with the letters WC. Toilets can usually be found at the front or back of each train car (also known as a coach), and will include a sink, toilet and a locking door.
- A. Austria, Benelux (includes Belgium, Luxembourg, Holland), Bulgaria/Serbia/Montenegro, Czech Republic, Croatia/Slovenia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
Q. Under train tickets and schedules, does the fare represent a per person rate or total for everyone?A. Our "Train Tickets and Schedules" section calculates the total cost of your outbound journey first, and it includes the cost for the number of people that you specify. Once you choose an outbound journey, the costs of the return journey appear.
- A. You can use your Swiss pass in the whole Swiss Travel System: in all trains, Postbuses, ships, buses and even trams.
- A. Gatwick and Heathrow Express trains run every 15 minutes.
- A. To begin using your pass, go to the ticket window at the rail station before boarding your first train and have a railroad official enter the first and last day of the validity on your pass. The railroad official will also stamp your pass and you will have to show your passport.
- A.No. A German Rail Pass Extension alone is not valid to travel on board trains. You have to use your extension as an add-on to your German Rail Pass.
- A. Located in the middle of the train (carriage 4 or 14), TGV Lyria bar provides a service for tasty snacks and meals: sandwiches, hot/cold local dishes, salads, children’s menu, hot and cold drinks, treats are available to eat at the bar or take away. In First class, you can also enjoy the convenience of Lyriapremière service at seat.
answered | Posted by Rafique D. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/01/2016
answered | Posted by Darshan P. | Comments 0 | Created: 12/12/2015
answered | Posted by Vandana A. | Comments 0 | Created: 02/12/2015
answered | Posted by Carlos O. | Comments 0 | Created: 01/12/2015
answered | Posted by Shani E. | Comments 0 | Created: 28/11/2015
Reviews & ratings UK Trains
Overall rating (145)
Overall appreciationExcellent 34% Very good 37% Average 21% Poor 2% Terrible 5%
- "Comfortable, Fast Travel" Geodino c. 06/03/2016
We bought tickets overseas online. Printing the ticket from any London station was easy. Getting into the train was effortless, even while carrying suitcases. We made the mistake of buying our own food to eat on the train only to find out meals and, even wine was provided. Value for money Convenience
- "Inconvenience at the station:" Vera n. 26/02/2016
My friend and I arrived at 14.58 to the gates, and our train was at 15:00. (the delay was caused because we got a bit lost as it was our first time in London) We were inquiring about which gate to take and running insanely with our luggage, and we asked an employee for directions.(They were just calling for the last passengers to get on the train) The guy, very slowly, told us that we missed it and we should get new tickets. Long story short, we previously paid about 30 pounds online for our tickets to Edinburgh, and we had to pay 125 extra pounds EACH for the next ticket. (at 3:30) (they redeemed only one ticket since the other stayed with the employee previously mentioned) I think that this amount of money is huge to pay considering we arrived 2 mins late, especially that we are new to the city and we were on a tight budget. The trip itself was enjoyable and smooth. I still have the tickets' receipts if requested. Thank you for your concern. Vera Noun, Lebanon. Value for money Convenience
- "problem with train time table " Jacob b. 26/02/2016
when we arrived at Preston we had to run in order to catch the train to Blackpool that on the time table needed to leave 25 min later and it was the last one riding to Blackpool because when we arrived the train station closed the gate so it was lucky we didn't miss it ????? Value for money Convenience
- "Great" Tiago k. 13/01/2016
Everything was clear since Edinburgh to London. Pretty confortable. Nothing tô complain about it. I just thought it expensive. Value for money Convenience
- "Recent train travel" Deirdre h. 16/12/2015
My journey both to and from London would have been excellent however both journeys were rather marred by long delays near Alnmouth following some sort of electrical problem 2 hours going south and one and a half on the return 5 days later. However we were informed that we would be given a refund on any tickets by Virgin for these delays which considerably helped my feelings, however I did not have any connections as others did. Delays aside the service was very good and at least we were kept informed on the problem and given free wifi for the duration. Value for money
- "Trip to Manshester Picadally" Muhammad Fairuz k. 16/12/2015
Had a fun experience onboard train to Manchester Picadally from London Euston. As we book the tickets online, its very convenience for collection as well as the staff is very helpful in assisting us for direction and question. The first class lounge is good but more can be done to upgrade it. Its the most memorable experience we had and look forward to use it on our nxt trip. Value for money Convenience
- "Good but a little expensive" Sushmita m. 02/12/2015
Good Value for money Convenience
- "Totally enjoyed my ride" Otar m. 15/10/2015
I went from London to Edinburgh and train is the most convenient way for this ride. Clean and comfortable seats having even plugs for mobile phone and computers. I enjoyed the whole ride and would recommend to everyone who wants to travel within UK. Value for money Convenience
- "Lovely station-nice journey" . 07/10/2015
We reached Euston well in time , only to realize that it was a good decision . Enjoyed our cuppa coffee and lunch in the nice sunny weather. The journey to Manchester was nice and comfortable and value for money. Getting my tickets printed at the station was a breeze....
- "We were happy" Natalia t. 17/09/2015
Train was comfortable, on time and value for money. Thank you! Value for money Convenience
- "family vacation" Lisa w. 29/07/2015
the train service was very convenient for our traveling needs Value for money Convenience
- "The Fastest way to travel " Stephen f. 10/07/2015
We chose to travel by train after checking the alternatives.The 2 hour train journey is the fastest.As i bought the tickets on line in Israeli Shekels it also worked out cheaper.A very comfortable train which it kept clean by having the rubbish removed frequently. Value for money Convenience
- "IMPRESSED BY RIGHT TIME" . 30/06/2015
that was good, convienience and excellent services, it was my first time travel by rail and next time i will prefer to rail service other than by plan. bye have a nice day. Patras
- "Travel to Edinburgh" . 26/06/2015
The train to Edinburgh was fast and comfortable. More variety of food in the food shop on sale will be good. As couldn't buy food before boarding and there was not much choices. The toilet was clean and fresh. The compartments were also clean. I really like it
- "A promised journey" Ho Lam l. 08/06/2015
Seats were very comfortable. The train departed amd arrived stations on time without delay. Connections to WIFI can better. Overall the journey was very good. Value for money Convenience